Monday, January 4, 2010

I wonder.....

I work for a drugstore and we have a uniform there. Really it's just a polo with the company logo on the back and then whatever nice slacks I happen to be wearing that day. Either way, I get a lot of people stopping me to ask me questions. Which is fine, because that's my job, but there one question that I always receive at least once a day. It is the dreaded

"Do you work here?"

Now, if you're like me, a thousand different answers pop into your head ranging from the very polite 'Yes' to the 'Goddammit not this again' to the very sarcastic 'No, I just happen to enjoy wearing this company's uniform polo with a name tag attached to my front with a nice gold service pin declaring at least five years of service.' Is it not obvious that I'm stocking these selves? That I'm wheeling these large cardboard boxes filled with merchandise for you to purchase? That I'm standing behind the register, ringing up your purchases?

I don't quite understand why people ask these questions. I mean the uniform polo is hardly fashionable, especially with the company logo emblazed on the back. The fabric it's made out of is hardly comfortable and is only useful in the fact that it's especially difficult to wrinkle such a top.

This puzzles me further, especially in the wintertime. I live and work in the mid-west. The winters here are especially brutal, and as Lewis Black would say 'If you don't go outside and say 'FUCK' there's something wrong with you'. So for me, employees would be even more obvious due to the fact that we are not carrying around coats or gloves of any sort. Almost *gasp* as if we intend to stay for a long period of time!

Maybe it's to do with the age old fact of retail; most customers are simply not observant. This certainly rings true with every single retail establishment.

I could understand if we we had a more relaxed dress code that didn't rely on uniform polos. But the fact remains that we don't and the polos make us stick out for a purpose. So if I'm wearing a polo with the company logo on the back, wouldn't you think that I work here?

No comments:

Post a Comment